Monday, February 17, 2014

I Love Three Day Weekends

Happy Presidents Day everyone! Today is a three-day weekend for me and school vacation week for the kiddo. The downtime feels so nice.

It's funny how three-day weekends used to be times to plan short trips to visit friends and experience adventures within driveable locations. Now three-day weekends mean I can get everything done I need to get done without completely exhausting myself.

This past week was rough because we had not one but two snowstorms so in addition to my normal crazy schedule, I also had to add in longer commuting times and shoveling to my day.

For example, here was my last Thursday, when we got 4 inches of snow throughout the day:

  • Woke up at 5:30am -- 15 minutes before the alarm
  • Bundled up and took the dog out for a 15 minute walk
  • Back at home got myself ready for work and the kiddo ready for school
  • Drove the kiddo to school
  • Commuted by train in the bitter cold into downtown Boston for work
  • Put in a full day of work
  • Commuted (slowly) back to our town
  • Went grocery shopping
  • Picked up the kiddo
  • Came home and walked the dog
  • Spent 45 minutes shoveling the driveway in the cold and dark
  • Went back inside and made dinner
  • Fed and bathed the kiddo
  • Read books before bedtime then tucked the kiddo in 
  • Bundled up one more time to take the dog out to do his thing
  • Came home, put PJs on and climbed into bed
  • Was asleep by 9:30
So yes you can see why this long weekend was so appreciated. I actually stayed in bed until 8am today! Sure the kiddo came in and tried to get me up at 6:45 and then again at 7:15 but I held firm and got that much needed rest regardless of his "pay attention to me" efforts.

Also, my house is actually clean enough where I'd feel comfortable letting an outsider come visit. It's not spotless by any means but I spent enough time sweeping, doing laundry, organizing and de-cluttering that I feel satisfied. For now at least.

I've already completed my grocery shopping for the week and make crock pot meals for lunch and dinner for the next several days. Even the dishes, pots and pans have been cleaned and the counter tops wiped so we're good to go there too.

And last but not least, the kiddo and I are having fun! On Saturday we went to a friend's house and played in the park, where we built a snow fort. 
Photo: Buildings forts with friends and having snowball battles was probably more fun for the grown ups than it was for the kids..

Yesterday we went sledding. And today we will go ice skating on the Frog Pond. Fun times right?

So I am glad for the three-day weekend and I wish I could somehow manage working four days a week but unfortunately this mama has a mortgage and bills to pay. I think once it stops snowing every other day (literally) it will be easier to manage the routine. Apparently we're getting another storm tomorrow, which makes me kind of want to cry. But at least I will be well rested and it will be a shorter haul to next weekend. And the good news is that the weather's warming up to high 40s during the week and that will make life infinitely easier as well. Soooo looking forward to that!


No comments:

Post a Comment