Sunday, September 15, 2013

Gluten Free Apple Pie With a Crumb Topping

We went apple picking today at Brooksby Farm in Peabody, MA and came back with a peck of sweet, ripe Cortland apples. Now that we have all these apples though, what are we going to do with them? Make an apple pie of course.


Pie Crust
Okay, I'm not going to lie. I bought the pie crust pre-made. I just don't have the skills to bake a GF pie crust so I went with Whole Foods gluten-free pie crust, found in the freezer section

Filling
I know there are quite a few bakers who mix their own custom GF flour but I'm just not that accomplished of a baker. So I bought the GF flour from Whole Foods as well.

6 medium thinly sliced peeled apples
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup Gluten Free baking mix (I used Arrowhead)
½ cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Crumb Topping
1/3 cup gluten free baking mix (once again I used Arrowhead)
¼ cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Heat oven to 375ºF. Use butter or cooking spray to coat a 9-inch pie plate. In a medium bowl, mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, sugar and milk; add the butter and stir, ensuring the entire bowl's contents are coated; add in the Cortland apples and mix; then place mixture in pie plate.

Next, mix the baking mix, and brown sugar streusel ingredients in a small bowl. Melt butter in the microwave; add to mixture and stir until crumbly; sprinkle over filling.

The reason I say to make sure that the butter coats the entire contents of the crumb topping is because I didn't do that and so some of my topping retained it's powdery consistency even after baking. Much better to coat the entire topping mixture with butter and get that nice golden brown across the whole top of the pie.

Most recipes tell you to cook 45-50 minutes but I found I needed 55 minutes for this pie. You might want to check on your pie after 45 minutes as perhaps oven temperatures do vary.

Serving Suggestion
I put a scoop of Breyer's All Natural Vanilla ice cream on top and the pairing was divine. I highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment